#727 Karl Lagerfeld-as-Coco Chanel: “I was never a feminist because I was never ugly enough for that.”

Image (and Harper’s Bazaar Quotes) /Chic Report

I’m all for speaking one’s mind, but Karl Lagerfeld never ceases to take things to the next level. It’s like, is there no such thing as political correctness in Europe? Or is he just so powerful and confident in himself and his own position that he can get away with saying anything with no fear of consequence? Who knows. The first one that made me shake my head was after that whole H&M debacle when the fast fashion company produced his Karl Lagerfeld x H&M capsule collection in large sizes. He threw his toys and stated “What I designed was fashion for slender and slim people” (aka if you’re a fatty, step awayyyy from the Karl Lagerfeld).

Then there was that whole shrug-off over the anorexic models debate: “”We don’t see anorexic (girls). The girls are skinny. They have skinny bones.” Riiiight. And now he’s gone and pulled an Elle in an interview with Harper’s Bazaar where he took on the persona of Coco Chanel. “I was never a feminist because I was never ugly enough for that.” Tut tut tut Karl, that’s not very polite. But there were a couple of moments of truth in the interview: “I like to charm younger men. This has not changed.” And a bit of self-deprecating humour, when asked about the new classic Chanel piece: “Apparently my old jacket is still around, done by this idiot Karl, I have to help him find a new idea.”

I don’t always agree with what he has to say for himself, but love him or hate him, you’ve gotta admit, the man’s got balls of steel.

Comments

Didn’t he recently befriend Beth Ditto and design some clothes for her? Gossip turned down a deal with Topshop as they wouldn’t produce clothing larger than size 14…hmmm hope my new hero (BD, not KL) wasn’t gipped by The Lager. Besides which he is very powerful, talented etc etc etc, but so not sexy, not even sexy ugly, no?

2. Leonie says

No. I think not. Besides, what’s he hiding under that collar? If it’s compassion, I could change my mind, but it seems a little tight for that.

3. nga waiata says

he was very fat himself and is soo in a style rut with his ridiculous ponytail…a supreme example of one who believes his own press.
    I like that you tut tut him Isaac…..I wonder if anyone around him dares to.

What he is hiding under the collar is the loose skin from all the weight he lost.

That said, I freaken love him, who else would produce a line of teddy bears that look like themselves, send his models down a runway holding bags up to their faces with pictures of him on them, etc etc.

He may be egotistical but at least he has an amazing sense of humour.

Haha, I do not agree with the fact you put the fat comment and the feminist comment in the same boat. Sure the feminist thing is uncalled for and stupid. But he just said it to provoke…
    But the size thing? Why should he design for anyone other than slim healthy people? Unhealthy obesity is fast on the way to being not tolerated, the same route smoking is taking. Beth Ditto should really think about what message she is sending to the girls/boys who idolise her….

Fair call Simon – this is a sensitive issue but you are correct. I find that people are so quick and eager to jump on the skinny debate and have no problem going up to tiny girls and telling them they have eating disorders, but who’d go up to a fatty and tell them they had an OVER-eating disorder?

Exactly! I also understand that there are a lot of factors involved, genetics, illness etc, and I’m not saying I dislike or judge people who struggle with either! But in the public eye its sad to see the abuse the skinnies get, but something equally unhealthy becomes cool just because it’s different? Beth seems eloquent, conscious and intelligent in interviews. It would be interesting to know what she thinks.

Isaac, it’s your blog but maybe not so much with the ‘fatty’ hate?

While it’s true that telling skinny girls they look anorexic is rude, there is no comparison to the relentless discrimination the fashion industry and society in general leverage against the overweight (and hey, it’s not hard to be ‘overweight’ these days, most fashion brands don’t go above a 14).

Besides, when people ‘accuse’ a skinny person of being ‘too skinny’, most of the time it’s a veiled statement of jealousy, not an outright condemnation. Skinny is the prevalent ideal, you can’t compare a criticism of being ‘too skinny’ with a criticism of being ‘too fat’.

Thanks to the miracle of the internet, we CAN know what Beth Ditto thinks.

“People bitch about fat people who are quote unquote overweight, which is a term that I hate, because it sets a standard for people to be, but it’s really funny to me that we are the majority in this country right now. It’s treated like no one in the world is like this, and it’s the most shameful thing, but really most of us are fat asses, you know. I just like food too much, and I don’t want to change. I spent so much of childhood trying to change, and I just got sick of it.” – Beth Ditto

It’s amazing to me that people get so moralistic about weight. I know very few skinny people who would be able to eat their way up to a size 16 if they tried, and I know plenty of women who have battled to lose baby weight despite eating well and being active. I know some people lose vast amounts of weight and feel better for it, and that’s a point of pride to them I’m sure. But a lot of moral judging of fat people comes from skinny people who have never struggled with their weight.

Isaac, I’m sure you don’t intend it as such but labelling what amounts to more than half the population as ‘fattys’ could be construed as a hater term, particularly coming from someone as willowy as yourself.

Anon, I accept that, and I apologise if I caused any offense.

I’d hate to think I caused anybody to cry into their McDonalds supersize combo.

Kidding!!

Seriously, no offense people, all in jest!