#1101 Tavi Gevinson on hater comments

“I read my own comments because I rarely get a negative commenter on my blog. I don’t read comments on other sites when other people have written about me and I generally don’t read the article. I have to be with myself all the time, and I don’t really want to read about myself. If somebody doesn’t like me, it’s probably somebody I’m never going to meet. It’s just part of the game.” – The Cut

Like I said yesterday, anybody – especially any adult – who would hate on any 13 year old kid is messed up in the head. But to hate on a 13 year old as clever, creative and cool as Tavi Gevinson is just nuts. It doesn’t make any sense to me. As my good friend Dayne Johnston would say, ‘Don’t hate it cos you ain’t it!’

Comments

I feel like you’re making this more of an issue than it is Isaac. No one ‘hated’ on Tavi’s personality, intelligence, or creativity. The only comments made by myself or others were that her outfits were ‘”frustrating” and “a bit of a mess.”

You mentioned that anybody who would hate on any 13 year old is messed up in the head. Tavi is not any 13 year old. Tavi is operating in a world of adults, and should be treated as such.

It would be nice if you could justify you opinion rather than just saying that it is “nuts” and “messed up in the head”.

And on another note, you say “Like I said yesterday, anybody – especially any adult – who would hate on any 13 year old kid is messed up in the head. But to hate on a 13 year old as clever, creative and cool as Tavi Gevinson is just nuts.”

Why is it that just because Tavi is clever, creative and cool, it is worse to “hate on” her than a 13yr old who lacks these attributes? Determining someones value, based on superior intelligence & creativity, is to me “just nuts.”

2. charlotte says

i think a lot of people wanna find faults with her because she’s so damn smart and fashion forward, ‘why is this kid so intelligent? why wasn’t i? why is she not a ‘normal’ kid? what’s up with her kooky clothes?’. (her blog is called style rookie after all)

i read one woman’s blog (sister wolf or something) claiming tavi showed all the signs of aspergers.

well, of COURSE she has to have a mental disorder right, and not just be passionately in love with fashion and expressing herself via fashion. that’s nuts.

Cam, forest for the trees.

I don’t really get your point about Tavi operating in an adult world and therefore should be treated like an adult.

First off, I’m not into hate directed at anybody.

Second, just because pint-sized Tavi has achieved a level of fame as a result of her being connected to the fashion world – which, yes, is an adult one – why should she suddenly become the victim of adult-sized nastiness?

She’s 13 years old!

I get that it happens to anybody famous – look at Miley Cyrus – but it’s not like I support that either.

Just to reiterate,

“Tavi is operating in a world of adults, and should be treated as such.”

Can you listen to yourself Cam?

Would you go up to a kid and say:

“Hey, your outfit looks stupid, but it’s okay, I feel comfortable saying this, because you’re famous. Oh, and adults are famous. So it’s okay.”

I’d assume you wouldn’t, because you might risk hurting the kid’s feelings. And that wouldn’t be a very nice – or good feeling – thing to do.

Or maybe you’d go up to Tavi and say:

“Actually, I might just go ahead and give you the keys to this car. Why? Because you’re operating in an adult world. Therefore you should be able to do everything an adult can do.”

It’s a stupid argument.

i agree issac!
    all the haters need to grow up…

although i do have to admit that i may occasionally turn a envious shade of green when reading of tavi’s experiences… but would be kidding myself if i wouldn’t do the same in her shoes.

“Can you listen to yourself Cam?” – Don’t be so condesending.

The issue is that you originally took offence to the comments because of Tavi’s age. I am simply stating that age, in this context, should have nothing to do with it.

I’m sure if I had said that I was sick of Andre Leon Talley and his frustrating little outfits, or sick of Amber Rose and her frustrating little outfits it would have passed by with little notice. (And don’t say that you’re “Not into hate directed at anybody.” It is not hate, merely criticism. And if a fashion blog is not the place to be critical about clothes, then I’m confused.)

If Tavi is going to surround herself with the likes of Tally and Rose, then she is subject to the same criticism – Whether or not it is a good thing is irrelevant. It’s unavoidable.

And please don’t blow things out of proportion. “Fustrate” is not the same as “Stupid” and “Hate”.

Oh shut your mouth Cam. Tavi is a kid and should be treated as such, no matter her level of intelligence, which is evidently higher than yours.

Ooooooooh.

“And if a fashion blog is not the place to be critical about clothes, then I’m confused.)”

Very good point.

The only reason our society hasn’t suffered a swift decline into anarchy is because the majority believe that through education, hard work, and dedication we will reach our goals- whether it be to acquire our most coveted possessions, become as famous or successful as our role models, or receive the recognition we think we deserve. As the self-adulating, ivory-towered world of high fashion becomes more and more irrelevant to the masses, the fashion world needs to become more accessible, while retaining some reverential status. Fashion week/s are nothing without the media support.
    You cannot insult the work ethic of journalists by expecting them to treat a charming child like Tavi as more than just exactly that.She might be advanced for a 13yo but she is not more advanced than most adults. Some maybe, but not the majority.
    I do not think she is a genius, she is very bright, a unique and interesting girl, as are a lot of children, she has the benefit of a supportive family, which may have lifted her above her peer group. She is special, but not special enough to be revered.I would be more ‘wowed’ by a 13yo musical savant than I am by Tavi. She is what I might have been like if my parents were more avante-garde.
    But as a 31yo female, would I take fashion advice from my 13yo self? NO.

Those people who want to protect Tavi’s innocence from ‘nasty anonymous comments’ should also protect the integrity of what is quickly and uncontrollably becoming her ‘brand’. PR machines must be stopped from USING her to promote their interests, she is too young to know when she is being used. She should not be paraded down the runway like a circus freak, she should not be sitting in the front row, she is not a marketing tool, nor is she a catalyst to whip up a frenzy of outrage because she should be in school not at shows. If the best the fashion world can do to draw attention to itself is use Tavi as a drawcard then maybe the fashion world is becoming irrelevant faster than ever. (this is not a good thing!)

for god sake isaac, how much longer are you going to go on about this? it’s also a bit melodramatic to say ‘messed up in the head.’ come on now..

Cam i’m most definitely with you on this one. Isaac your not articulating your argument very well. Tavi has put herself into the spotlight and is working within the fashion industry as a name and brand. She is now operating in an adult world. Of course, people should not be hating on her, but that doesn’t mean that everyone has to love her. If she is going to be dubbed as some kind of fashion icon, people are completely entitled to voice their criticism regarding her fashion reporting, journalism and the way she dresses.

Its funny how bloggers get very defensive of other bloggers. It almost as if you guys feel the need to vindicate yourself and the work that you do through success stories like Tavi. A time will come when those who truly know what they’re talking about will reign supreme once again, and media gimmicks like Tavi will be less than breaking news.

Also I am posting as anonymous because I don’t have a google account. My name is Sam.

I read this article on WWD.com about bloggers taking over the fashion industry and how some fashion editors are over it. Apparently Paula Reed of Grazia tweeted that she couldn’t see the Dior show cause of Tavi’s annoying bow.

^^ i think its an insult in the first place that she was even seated in front of paula.

anon 12:02 you made some very good points. she is being used as a marketing tool by designers/pr etc and i hate that blogger such as isaac here just eat it up. its like you feel such a sense of entitlement but really you guys havent put in the hard yards..

“Meet The Most Awesome Person Ever, as well as The Most Stylish Person At NYFW, both such HIGH HONORS TO RECEIVE FROM SOMEONE AS GREAT AS I, OF COURSE, no, but, really, a very cool person, and oh my God let’s add us some more commas, because this isn’t annoying enough, but anyway, the most stylish person I saw all week”

-from style rookie.. riveting stuff..

16. sar says

HAHAHAHAhA to above! I read that yesterday and laughed so much.. that people actually keep saying how she some fashion prodigy.. good too see all the attention isnt going to her head HA

“Hey, your outfit looks stupid, but it’s okay, I feel comfortable saying this…”

I would say it. Kid needs to be taken down a peg.

Hardly that rude, if you think so nobody has even given you an proper ear full.

I agree with one of the commenters: Tavi has clearly put herself under the spotlight and has to accept the good and BAD things that people have to say about her. Fashion is mostly about making the right decisions, and criticizing (and a lot of other stuff, but that’s mainly it :p)

Well seeing as I’m 11. I guess I can possibly comment on her? No? Yes?

Tavi is hyped. And it is specifically because she has chosen to reiterate herself (thoughts, ideas, etc.) to the fashion sphere. Now don’t get me wrong, she is bright. But so are the thousands to millions of distinguishable youths that can compose concertos, or the ones that attend programs that are designed specifically for the gifted. Even my own peers, who don’t go to such programs have contracted high gpa’s and dare I say can write even better than Tavi. FYI, a good writer can instill a sense of their own character and imperative declarations (i.e. Sassy Magazine, and hipster columnists, Tavi,…) but a great writer is someone who can strip their own wry-witted voice from a piece and still have it to be interesting. Would Tavi’s writing still be impressive if she stripped all her forced irony or clever “see, I’m still a kid at heart” lines out of her posts, is something I’m still unsure of. To give her the benefit of the doubt, I’m sure she means well with all of the 90s references, though I’m sure she hardly remembers anything as she was born in ’96 or ’97. Which means she never got to experience shows such as Are You Afraid of the Dark, Rocko’s Modern Life, Ahh Real Monsters, etc. Stuff my sister go to indulge in as a child. Tavi does so cleverly pick up the “cool things” of the 90s though, such as Daria and Kurt/Courtney romance. Clever meaning, those were the things 20-30 years old would remember, seeing as they were teens then and sought those things as cool too. Funny enough that the main fashion blog demographic revolves around 20-30 years old. While people laugh at people who criticize Tavi, I laugh at the people who are so entrenched by her to realize that there’s alot of clever and bright kids out there in the world! Past and Present. Difference is Tavi, found a gullible platform. As a 13 year old I would like to know at what age it’ll be to where I’ll forget how clever and smart children are. Why do we underestimate our youths so much? Don’t get me wrong Tavi and I… well basically all youths have the unfortunate bug of “I know everything!” when we in fact don’t. But come on people give us a little something! From observance I can say in the nicest way possible, that Tavi’s fans are dumb. In all, am I saying that being hyped is a bad thing? Absolutely not, because alot gifted youths are hyped as well. All I am trying to say is that, she’s nothing but a hype that appeals to the latter generation of the 90s. Sorry let me re-write that she appeals to the “cool” (i.e. hipsters) of the latter generation of the 90s, and now to some teens who also want to seem cool (i.e. again, hipsters).

After reading this you’ll probably dismiss me as someone who couldn’t be eleven, because it’s scientifically impossible. The only bright eleven year old in whole world is Tavi :)

Love,
    An eleven year old frustrated at some people who can’t possibly process in their head that there are other people like Tavi in the world that don’t choose to use the internet as a platform like she does.

20. tobealone says

I read Tavi ocassionally, but find the whole blog rather beyond my fashion illiterate mind. Even I, a woman born on the cusp of the nineties, don’t understand half the references she often makes to films, books and artists during that decade. She has more or less, a microcosm of her own world operating around that blog. As far as I can see, the jealously arises from two particular categories of people: those who adore fashion and those who have no personality whatsoever. I cannot comment on the former, but as for the latter I could write a book on the reasons for all this “hating” on Tavi. So many people are as bland as bread these days, they hate to see anyone who isn’t a complete jigsaw of popular culture be happy and dare I say, famous?
    At the end of the day who cares, she’s basically just a well-read, clever kid. It’s just that they’re quite rare these days amongst, and I definitely won’t retract this, the dimwits we seem to be churning out 24/7 lately.