#1369 The facts of life

Justin Bobby in his many manifestations. Image source: heaps

1. There seems to be a proliferation of these young, pseudo-hipster Auckland guys walking around town in Doc Marten/combat boots, rolled up jeans, unbuttoned flannel shirts and beanies hanging halfway off their heads. Boys – Justin Bobby called, he wants his look back.

2.It’s cool to Kōrero! Welcome to Māori Language Week. Here are a few phrases you might find handy: Kei te ataahua koe. Translation: You are beautiful. Kei te nge nge ahau. Translation: I am tired. Kei te momona koe. Translation: You are fat.

3. Bill Cunningham New York made me and just about everybody else in the Skycity Theatre cry. Watch it if you need a little inspiration.

4. Over at my post about models doing topless test shoots, a helpful commenter has just pointed out that Kate Moss got her start with a topless test shoot. Did it ruin her career? No, no it did not. I used to work in a modelling agency. We’d get called up daily by girls under the 5’9″ height cut off who never failed to mention Kate Moss’ name. Our response was always the same: do you look like Kate Moss? But that’s not the point. The point is, there is no evidence whatsoever that a model exposing her breasts in a test shoot will get her more work. There is, however, plenty of evidence of photographers taking advantage of models on shoots. Yes, even Terry Richardson, whose work I have confessed to liking. Judge each case on its own merits. But know this: that randy guy who seems to be shooting a lot of similar-looking tests and not a whole lot else may well have ulterior motives. LIKE HE WANTS TO SEE/HAVE A VISUAL RECORDING OF YOUR BOOBS.

5. Just so you know, it’s Isaac Hindin Miller. Not Issac or Izak, not Hinden or Hindon, not Millar.

6. Friends, do not – I repeat – do not sign an employment contract that states ‘No redundancy compensation shall be payable by the employee’. If there’s an added confidentiality clause in the mix, run for the damn hills.

7. Hallensteins beige socks ($12 for two pairs) are unsurpassed. I’ve tried Pantherella ($30 per pair), Uniqlo ($6 for two pairs) and various other chainstore and supermarket offerings and none can compete.

8. Is it just me, or does the guy in this Wrangler campaign (the website’s home page image) look like he’s had his abs flipped upside down? I’m sure abs don’t go up that high. Thanks to Sheida for pointing that one out.

9. I’m fascinated to see what would happen if a group of capable people came together and pretended to start up a fashion magazine here in Auckland. How far would they get? How many models would they book? How many top photographers could they fool? There may just be a reality TV show in that idea…

10. The New Zealand government should have implemented a no drink driving, no exceptions policy. Instead, they decided not to change the law at all. What’s next? Free beers given out for passed driving tests? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!

Comments

1. oldgirl says

come to dunedin, being a uni town ever second guy has the boots,the shirt, and the silly hat falling of their head, now starting to see middle aged men in the coffee shops and cafes thinking their cool, so sad. Even my man said he thought it looked cool,this is the man who usually wears a beret and thats bad enough….SAD

It must be said that RE:#1, I do agree with some points but to dismiss Justin Bobby as a mere “pseudo-hipster” is an outrage. Justin Bobby is a male style icon of the highest order. He created a whole ascetic for these Auckland hipsters to imitate. Watch, next thing they’ll all start riding motorcycles…ahhhh nuf said.

..MO

3. Rebeccah says

As per usual, love your work!
    Re #10 – if the Alcohol Advisory Council says it’s crazy not to implement this law, I really believe them.
    PS I’m not even close to fluent i roto te reo Maori! But thanks for the shout out!
    xx

Thank you Isaac, Greatly appreciated.
    But now that you have brought on this whole Hills/Auckland comparrison lets play a fun little (and i’ll admit somewhat stupid) game.
    Which “characters” from The Hills most accurately relate to “characters”in Auckland.

Don’t bag other peoples style, i’m sure they have plenty to say about yours, especially all those dress up shots you like to do..

@Lena – because they can make you redundant and not have to pay you anything. At least if you get made redundant at a company that cares about its employees they’ll give you some kind of severance package. But in good news, you’re only 16 so I don’t think you have too much to worry about. (I looked at your blog, it’s cool.)

To anon @3pm, I totally agree with you. Dear Isaac, don’t get me wrong, I like your blog but just because you have a good sense of fashion and all doesn’t give you the right to judge and mock someone else’s taste. Dressing nice all the time with well tailored blazer n pants for a full time blogger seems a lil ‘overrated’ to me. Some people might even think that it isn’t a real job. But hey who m I to say such things..

That’s really nice of you to teach people how to say ‘you are fat’ really nice of you. Shallow much?

#1 – Every time I see a guy dressed like this I just think he is a vagina decliner.

#1. That look was around long before Justin Bobby or you were even born; it’s just back in style currently. Time to catch up on your fashion history.

#9. “Fashion” is essentially a con job in and of itself. Just ask any longtime player in the game. Again, it’s time to catch up on your fashion history.

#10: I invented the piano key necktie, I invented it! What have you done, Derek? You’ve done nothing! NOTHIIIING!

Hey Isaac is it okay to shoot a model with their boobs out if the Photographer is a Lesbian or a Gay man?

Why the implication that its only young straight male photographers who are the ones taking advantage?

Shame, I’m 19 and that blog is from when I was 16 and and beyond lame.

Re: redundancy – oh good, I only work part time at an overprice ice cream shop, so it’s not exactly like it’s a career

Hahahaha I forgot about that episode of The Hills! “Homeboy wore combat boots to the beach. I know you don’t want to call that your boyfriend”. Wise words from Lauren, Justin Bobby is trouble. He does have good style though, but the JB doppelganer vibe is getting a bit old.

Anon 11:19. you claim all this was around before isaac hindenburg was born. wow. you are old. You must have seen empires come & go. & had your scribe write the book of fashion in the shadow of the sphinx. forgive us.
    oh and boy will some kids in auckland be lost now the hills has finally finished. re-runs or riots!