b Store Loves Liberty. Photo: Style Salvage
1. It’s hard to make friends with Europeans! Since I’ve been in Paris, I’ve pretty much only hung out with New Zealanders and Australians. Somebody explain to me the process of becoming BFFs with the French because I am failing no matter how hard I try. (Therein may lie the problem – screaming “LET’S BE BEST FRIENDS!!!!” the first time you meet somebody might be a little off-putting.)
2. Continuing on from that last point, I now understand why Kiwis and Australians congregate in London – nobody else seems to understand our unique senses of humour.
3. When I was living in Canada back in 2006, I worked at this burrito restaurant named Burrito Boyz (holla!) and when vegetarians would come in, I’d yell their – hilariously altered – orders to the chef. For example: “One tofu burrito, extra steak please!” They would literally lose their minds and I’d have to spend the next three to four minutes explaining that I was joking. Trust me, I felt like David Brent. And not in that good way.
4. One way in which the French trump us Antipodeans is in their drinking culture. My flatmates threw a party in the weekend and about 35 French 20-somethings turned up. Despite staying until about 4:00am, nobody spewed, beat each other up or broke a single glass. It was a truly surreal experience.
5. My favourite French phrase this week: “Laisse-moi devenir l’ombre de ton ombre, l’ombre de ta main, l’ombre de ton chien.” Translation: Let me be the shadow of your shadow, the shadow of your hand, the shadow of your dog.
6. On a non-French topic, despite an obsession with navy Chuck Taylors, beige pants and sweaters, I don’t have an addictive personality. That said, I use more Burt’s Bees than anybody on the planet. Last week I started freaking out because I was getting down to the dregs of my final tube. Thankfully the good folk at Goode PR came to my rescue and sent me enough to keep me going until I come back home. The package arrived yesterday. I am now happy.
7. I need a Paris-based photographer for upcoming projects (plus general outfit posts and the like). Keen? Email me: email@example.com
I LIKE YOU!