1. When I lived in Toronto in 2006, I was always getting myself into trouble for my stereotypically Kiwi, sarcastic/mocking sense of humour. It happened again on Monday night. I was hanging out with a friend and this girl that he’s been dating and we got onto the topic of tertiary education. My friend and I had both gone to traditional universities and she went to FIT. So I started making a couple of innocent jokes about how she’d gone to an institution of technology and how she must have learned some good trade skills and how if I ever needed a button to get sewn on a shirt she’d be the one I’d call. You know, just harmless, light-hearted teasing between two people who’ve never met each other before. After about a minute she looked me straight in the eye and said, “I can’t be f***ed dealing with your sarcastic bullsh*t.” I apologised profusely – which she refused to accept – then in a final attempt to appease her, I raised my glass and said, “To FIT.” She got up and walked out. My friend chased after her and when they got outside she turned to him and said, “It’s been fun hanging out with you but we’re not going to see each other again.” I can’t help but feel somewhat responsible.
2. I’m soon to be homeless in New York and by that I mean I have to move out of my beautiful apartment on December the first. Help me, I’m poor.
3. Speaking of which, I ran into Rose Byrne of Bridesmaids fame yesterday at a cafe on Bowery. She was very sweet, surprised to be recognised, and spoke with a great Australian accent. Other celebrity sightings yesterday: Elizabeth Olsen with Lily Collins at The Smile, and Jake Gyllenhaal on the street by NYU. All in one day! Who’d’ve thought?
4. I made one clothing purchase this week: A white spotted navy knit tie from The Knottery‘s online store. It arrived on my doorstep the next day in a little box, it looks amazing, and the whole procedure cost me less than $30. The price of garments never fails to amaze me in this country.
5. I missed out on the three biggest parties of the month this week: Watch The Throne in concert, the Victoria’s Secret show and Versace for H&M featuring Nicki Minaj and Prince. Maybe it’s time I started getting my sneak-in on all over again.
6. THUGGED OUT SINCE CUB SCOUTS tees are coming back for Christmas! This time in two limited edition colourways. Read all about it right hurr it’s the remix!
7. The problem with living in New York is that it’s virtually impossible to not go out every night of the week. The problem with being me is that I can’t say no to the promise of an adventure. It’s an exhausting combination.
8. Imagine how witty and self-confident people used to have to be before text messaging was invented? There’s nothing clever about sending a glib text that took you 10 minutes to conceive. Clever is doing it off the cuff in real life.
9. Headlines is my favourite song right now. God damn it I love Drake.
10. I’ve been thinking a lot about honesty this week. Firstly because a girl I know wrote something personal on Tumblr that made me sit up and go, ‘Wow that’s impressive but I could never do that myself,’ and secondly because I just read the GQ&A with Drake where he said, “I want to be remembered as an artist that gave you a piece of me, as opposed to some surface bullsh*t.” There’s no doubt my blog would be wildly more entertaining and compelling (not to mention potentially shocking) if I wrote home-truths, but I’ve never been able to bring myself to do it. The best blogs are the ones where you really get to know the person who writes it, but I’m not sure if anybody could honestly say they know me from reading Isaac Likes. What’s the solution?
I LIKE YOU!