#2099 A walking tour of Berlin

Before I get started, let me give you a little disclaimer: I’m not one of those people who has beef with tourists. When I say I never do touristic things, it’s not because I’m too cool to go up the Eiffel Tower or visit the Statue of Liberty or take an elevator to the top of the Fernsehturm here in Berlin. I’m simply a lazy traveller. Add the fact that I’m terrified of heights and I don’t like boats, and pretty much everything is off limits for me. I do make an exception for museums and churches, but besides that I’m more of a hang-out-at-the-same-place-every-day kind of guy. But yesterday in Berlin, I got my walk on with visiting Australian Bridget Malcolm. We did it all bar the Wall – the Holocaust Memorial (speechlessness inducing), the cathedral (grandiose), the university (better looking than mine), the Brandenburg Gate (triumphant) and the palace (under construction). I’m glad I did it – I can now say with conviction that Berlin is in the top three most beautiful cities I’ve ever been to, alongside Paris and London. Check out the photos, below.

And, because I’m really just a 12 year old boy at heart…. OMG LOLZ:

Comments

1. Jenny says

Lovely to see some shots of Berlin – I’ve never been there myself. Where does the lovely Florence stand in your ranking of cities?? I hear there’s a snow storm in NYC – good luck for your return.

2. Lou says

Are you still in Berlin? You need to go to Tacheles. Not as cool as it used to be, but worth a visit regardless. It’s just crazy.

3. isaaclikes says

Florence has gotta be top 7 or so, Milan is even up there (despite the fact that I’m not the biggest fan it does look amazing in summertime).

4. Laurel says

I agree about Tacheles, it’s an amazing place. If you get the chance I recommend you do one of the ‘alternative Berlin’ walking tours. It’s definitely not as pretentious as it sounds, and it shows you such a different, but incredible side of the city!

5. oldgirl says

have just had a catch up on all your post since you left n.Z, you are living a full life in interesting places, I will enjoy all your new post…take care Diann

6. Bogus says

Bit of a noob tour of Berlin, were you there for all of three hours? Try the Pergamon Museum, Photography Museum (shrine to Helmut Newton), etc

7. Miri says

Hey Isaac, wow, you‘ve been to Berlin. Living here for a year now and loving this city every day more. It‘s just AMAZING. You should come in spring or summer time and I promise you never wanna leave again. Next time you are here let me know and I show you around. Not so much the touristic stuff (you‘ve seen it already), more what the locals do!