1. Katherine Lowe and I have spent the past three weeks fighting; it’s been business as usual. But this time, there was a light at the end of the tunnel – we were duking it out over the design of Little Brother’s labels, swing tags, tee shirt and sweater prints. This morning at 3:30am New Zealand time/11:30am New York time, we cracked it. And at the risk of counting our chickens before they hatch, I reckon it’s the best work we’ve ever done. I am so god damn excited to launch this collection! Might have to start leaking some imagery over the next couple of weeks. Keep an eye out.
2. The above photo was my reaction the moment I walked in my apartment on Saturday night and flicked on the lights to discover 30 of my favourite people standing in the living room. Thanks once again to everybody who showed me that birthdays aren’t so bad after all – especially Tom, Ljubo, Indra and my babes. I’ve never felt so loved in my entire life. Best night ever.
3. You know how New Zealanders always go overseas and are all like, ‘I can’t get burnt in other countries, the ozone hole is tiny, my skin is accustomed to the harshest UV rays of all time, who needs sunscreen…?’ Don’t believe the hype. Yesterday, on Fire Island, I got completely and utterly smashed by the sun. Luckily for me, red’s the colour of the season.
4. Words to contemplate, courtesy of my Dad: “Underneath all anger is hurt; and underneath all hurt is a painful experience from childhood.”
5. A quick follow up on yesterday’s Good Question regarding the girl who just can’t bring herself to break up with her nasty cheating boyfriend: When you’ve lost the respect in a relationship, it’s almost impossible to get it back. People learn how to behave with each other and they don’t unlearn too easily once habits have been formed. But most importantly, if someone cheats on you, break up with them immediately. Mistakes like that don’t just happen. One strike policies for the win!
6. I live in a mezzanine bedroom on the fourth floor of a brick building and it gets hot as the fires of hell in my apartment. When it’s 30 degrees outside, it’s 40 inside, so this morning I walked down to the Puerto Rican refrigeration supplies store in Williamsburg to see a guy about an air conditioner. The owner quoted me $65 for a small 5000btu unit, and sent me out back to pick one out. The next guy who helped me showed me a couple of boxes, then whispered, “You sort me out, I sort you out.” I slipped him a fiver and he handed me an 8000btu machine. Sometimes, it’s not what you know, it’s who you bribe.
7. Attention, world: Loudly patterned short sleeve shirts are the greatest things to have ever happened to life. Buy them liberally, wear them proudly. I want them all.
8. You know what people don’t do nearly enough? Like their own status updates on Facebook.
9. Imogen Heap makes baby making music. Come Here Boy is a must-have on every seduction mix. 100% strike rate guaranteed.
10. Finally, Happy Birthday to my favourite twins in the entire world, Harriet and Carter Were. You’se are my shawties for real. Hope you both have an amazing day, though you’re on opposite ends of the earth. Holla!
I LIKE YOU!