Hey so after I wrote last week’s post about the five shoes you need this winter, I had a bunch of girls contact me and ask me to do one for them. I often get asked to talk more about womenswear and I probably should because I am finding myself far more interested in women’s clothing than men’s of late, largely due to the fact that I have a real life clotheshorse on hand who actually enjoys/tolerates being dragged around department stores and boutiques and forced to try on anything that catches my eye. It’s probably my favourite way to spend an afternoon in New York, no joke. (For the record, Barneys is the best.) But back to the matter at hand, these are the five pairs of shoes I reckon girls should be wearing this Winter, starting with:
1. These Saint Laurent Paris Chelsea boots. I’m obsessed with girls in Chelsea boots and I’m obsessed with girls in ankle boots, so these are a perfect combo of the two. Imagine them with black stockings, a mini skirt and a le smoking jacket. Fresh. Another good option if you’re looking for a sturdy flat is this pair by RM Williams. OG.
2. Ashika has the lace-up oxford version of these wingtip brogues by Church’s, and she gets comments every single time she wears them. They’re simple and refined, but not too fem — in the best possible way. She wears hers with cuffed jeans or skirts and they rule. Here’s a tip I learned from the boys over at GQ: See how they lace the shoes from side to side like that in the photo above? That’s just for display purposes in the store. When you take them home you’re supposed to re-lace them in the traditional criss-cross way. Apparently not doing that is a total rookie move.
3. ACNE’s Pistol boots are awesome. They look kinda funky/strangely shaped on the rack, but they are sensational on. Sensational! (Special thanks to my mate Esther for selling me on these.)
4. If you’re somewhere with a proper winter like New York, you’re going to need a pair of heavy ass boots to walk around in the snow. Girls in Timberlands for the win. They look especially amazing if you have tiny feet.
5. I never really got into designer sneakers, but recently I keep seeing people wearing Common Projects’ Achilles sneakers and they look so good. This pair is from the current women’s collection and they are super fly. I like how low profile they are (added bonus: they make your legs look longer).
I LIKE YOU!