Anon asks: Hi Isaac! Valentine’s Day is like four fricken days away and I can’t think of what to buy my boyfriend!!! He’s got cool style and he’s super laid back and we promised each other that we wouldn’t spend more than $100… HELP ME! (Please.)
Hey, gidday mate! Never fear, your mate is here. But before we get into gift ideas I do have to tell you that my friend Richard Biedul is living at my house at the moment, so I shouted out, “Hey Richie! Come help me with this gift guide. What would you want your girlfriend to get you for Valentine’s Day?” And he ran into the living room with an excited look on his face… and gave me a lecture about the commercialization of love. I listened for approximately 15 seconds, then interrupted him and convinced him to give me a couple of good ideas. He did. See below.
1. An Alex Mill plaid shirt! You might have noticed that I spend a LOT of time in my Alex Mill plaid shirt. It’s one of my favorite things that I’ve ever owned. Good news for you, all his plaid shirts are on sale right now for under $100.
2. Some Form & Thread socks. Another thing I love: Beautiful socks. That said, I hate buying socks for myself, it always seems like such an annoying thing to do. Richard’s friends with these guys, they’re based in the UK, they’re lovely, and their product is sensational. A three-pack box costs $34, and if he doesn’t love them, you will. Win/win!
3. Some Bread & Boxers boxer briefs. I like my boxers tight, white, and as plain as they come. Swedish brand Bread & Boxers gets it. And, same with socks, I hate buying underwear for myself. It feels like a chore. But I did just invest in seven new pairs of these, they arrived today while I was writing this post, and it makes me happy that I can now dispose of some of the more threadbare members of my undergarments drawer. I imagine most guys would be with me. $18 per pair.
4. Some Triumph & Disaster Rock & Roll Suicide Face Scrub. Boys need to exfoliate just as much as (if not more than) girls because our skin is rougher and we sweat more and we shave and lots of other reasons. This is hands down the best exfoliant I’ve ever used, it’s made from real volcanic ash, and best of all, it was made by some mates of mine in New Zealand! $34 for a 100ml tub that will last at least six months.
5. A pair of Dr Martens Octavius shoes. You might have noticed that I wear these shoes every single day of the week. That’s because, in my opinion, they’re the greatest, whether you’re wearing them with denim, tailored pants or shorts. The brown ones (which I don’t like as much), are on sale right now for $99, but the black ones will run you about $128. Maybe a bit expensive for these purposes, but so so good!
6. Some Aesop Deodorant. This stuff is extremely well priced for a fragrance ($35), it smells delicious and woody and spicy and masculine, kinda like a walk through a clove forest, and it lasts forever. I’m still going on my one that I got for Christmas back in 2014.
7. A box of See’s Candies Milk Chocolate Soft Centers. Because they are the best tasting chocolates I’ve ever eaten in my entire life. EVER.
8. A tub of Fatboy Perfect Putty. Left untamed, I have the pouffiest, fluffiest, 1970s disco hair of all time. But if I rub a bit of Fatboy Perfect Putty in my hands and apply it to my hair while it’s still wet, by the time it’s dried, I’ve turned into an entirely different person. I do believe that it’s the best hair product available in the world right now — GQ agrees — your boyfriend will too. $21 for a tub.
Hope that helps!
I LIKE YOU!