1. It’s way too easy to get bogged down with Instagram, which, as I’ve said previously, is anything but a healthy pastime, so one of my goals right now is to read better quality writing. I recently subscribed to The New Yorker and Vanity Fair, and best of all, to Lenny Letter, Lena Dunham’s new website. All you gotta do is give them your email address, and then three or so times per week you get an email with stories like this one about why Lena Dunham refuses to be photoshopped by magazines, or this one about why Sarah Silverman believes Bernie Sanders is the best man for the top job (same). It’s great stuff.
2. Instagram does still occupy a certain amount of my time, so is it just me, or does everybody else think the app is insanely boring to scroll through during fashion month? For the past four weeks, my entire feed has been dominated by blurry runway shots and it hasn’t been a good tool of procrastination at all. Don’t these people know that we can look at the slideshows on every single website like 30 seconds later? On the plus side, today was the last day, so hooray!
3. It was International Women’s Day yesterday, so here’s a quote I love about the equality of men and women, from the Baha’i writings: “The world of humanity has two wings – one is women and the other men. Not until both wings are equally developed can the bird fly. Should one wing remain weak, flight is impossible.”
4. Now, on a slightly different note, also relating to women, Kim Kardashian posted a nude selfie yesterday, and the internet exploded, including some female celebrities who either poked fun at her (see: Midler, Bette) or wrote about “how important setting goals are for young women, teaching them we have so much more to offer than just our bodies.” (See: Moretz, Chloe.) What a time to be alive. Kim Kardashian is literally never not expanding the conversation on what it is to be a humanoid in this modern world.
5. And speaking of public displays of nudity (PDN), yesterday in Houston, a woman took off her clothes and jumped on top of a big rig truck and started dancing, stopping traffic for two hours on a major highway. So ladzy. Whenever I take off my clothes in public, Jenny just gets angry :/
6. So, let’s talk clothes. In the early 2000s, Abercrombie & Fitch was your cool older cousin’s favorite brand and you’d be super jealous of him whenever he went on holiday to America and brought back a signature moose polo shirt. Remember? Then the brand suffered from not really moving past the mass logofication of itself, and sales fell dramatically — 2014’s figures were less than half that of 2012’s. So last year, Aaron Levine, the cool bearded guy who turned Club Monaco’s menswear around, was hired as creative director. And yesterday the campaign was released (featuring my mate Alex Libby), and today the clothes go on sale. And they’re vastly better. Think: suede bomber jackets, amazing vintage washed shorts, cool denim shirts, and more. It’s a work in progress, but I’m excited to see where they go from here (any cheaper competitor to the J.Crews and Club Monacos of this world are a positive in my book). Check out the cool new outerwear, here. One thing though: Why don’t the men’s and women’s sections of the website have the correct apostrophes?? WHY.
7. Here’s a must-read piece about the problem with Demna Gvasalia, fashion’s newest darling designer, only casting white models in his shows for Vetements and Balenciaga.
8. Here’s a great video of Charles Ferguson (the Oscar award winning director of Inside Job) talking about the importance of Bernie Sanders for America right now. “Whether Sanders wins and loses, America’s crony capitalism will no longer go completely unchallenged,” Hear, hear.
9. And here’s a video of a grumpy cat getting a haircut.
10. In case you were wondering what’s with the lack of outfit posts on the blog over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been sick in some shape or form (whether stomach bug or flu or sinus infection) for three weeks now. I spoke to three doctors and they all had no good advice, and then I talked to a naturopath and he prescribed all these herbal supplements and so I’m giving that a go. Hopefully I’ll be all better in a couple of days.
I LIKE YOU!